Top 7 Best VPN For Kodi in 2022 to Stream Seamlessly (Guide)
The ultimate Kodi experience calls for a VPN. So, which is the best VPN for Kodi?
Welcome to our Kodi VPN showdown. Personally, I have been struggling with the choices for the best VPN for Kodi. In fact, it is what prompted this review so we can both crawl out from under the uncertainty.
My fellow Kodi buffs know there’s nothing more annoying than that pesky buffering icon. Even worse is when you have a slow VPN which further drags your connection. I mean, can you even!
Well, you will be glad to know that I did find quite a number of awesome VPN for Kodi options. We shall be discussing them all in a bit.
I will even share my favourite pick. But before we go there, let’s talk a little about Kodi for the sake of our readers who aren’t familiar with it.
What Is Kodi?
Kodi is an open source media server software created by XBMC Foundation. Without going into much history, all you need to know is Kodi is a pretty kickass piece of genius.
Did I mention its totally free?
You can stream and store pretty much any type of media for watching around the house.
Kodi works with every major operating system and is optimized to stream content from hundreds of different devices. Not to mention the wealth of Add-ons, Builds, and Repositories.
Clearly, there is much to be learned for a Kodi beginner. But I got you. Check out this resource for the complete breakdown of Kodi and how it works.
Inching towards the best VPN for Kodi, but you may first need to find out why you need a VPN for Kodi in the first place.
Why Use VPN For Kodi?
For starters, we all know and love Kodi for its Add-ons. These Add-ons allow us to gain access to all kinds of content.
Now, Kodi has a somewhat meagre array of official Add-ons that you can use to stream content. But the real sauce lies in the more sinister un-official Add-ons. There is a whole world of streaming behind these bad boys.
Obviously, a majority of the content streaming through the unofficial Add-ons is either restricted, copyrighted, or otherwise illegal. So, back to our question; Why use a VPN for Kodi?
On top of this, I must mention the importance of a good anti-virus even if you use a VPN. You see, using Kodi puts you at a high risk of MITM (Man in the Middle) attacks.
Even worse is an out-dated Add-on. This is because Add-ons are mainly third-party software which are in no way affiliated to Kodi. In fact, some Add-ons are just pure malware.
With this in mind, stay safe.
If you have not been using a VPN, don’t freak out. It isn’t too late.
You can now choose from our Best VPN for Kodi picks.
List of 7 Best VPN for Kodi in 2022
We’ll start with our Number 1 pick which is also my favorite, then work our way down.
1. ExpressVPN :- Best VPN for Kodi
160 Locations | 94 Countries | 5 Devices | 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
ExpressVPN is a renowned VPN service provider. It is a big network with over 3000 servers in 160+ locations and 94 countries.
But this is not why it is my favourite.
Robust as it may be, ExpressVPN is quite simple to operate. In actuality, ExpressVPN is the perfect Kodi VPN for beginners.
Further, it has all the advanced functionality of a complex VPN with deeply integrated clients and VPN apps for routers.
ExpressVPN is based in the Virgin Islands which is a good thing. Basically, because it is out of the reach of the NSA as well as the 5/9/14 Eyes.
You can expect unrestricted access to all Kodi Add-ons and IPTV. Moreover, all Kodi-supported devices including routers and media streamers can work.
To be specific, ExpressVPN works with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux (Command-line), and routers.
As far as protocols go, ExpressVPN accepts OpenVPN via UDP, OpenVPN via TCP, L2TP-IPSEC, and PPTP or SSTP. You can unblock BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and HBO Go among other streamers.
Other useful features include a strong military-grade encryption, no logging policy, independent audits, excellent speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and unbeatable server availability.
If you have any difficulty installing the VPN, ExpressVPN has a wealth of video tutorials and outstanding Live Chat support to help you along.
Ultimately, if you have a Kodi device with no VPN support whatsoever, you can opt for a pre-flashed ExpressVPN router. This way, it’ll have the VPN firmware pre-installed.
2. NordVPN for Kodi
60 Countries | 6 Devices | 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
Nord is another ideal VPN for beginner Kodi users. Perhaps Nord’s best feature is the fact that it runs in the background. Actually, you will literally forget that you are running Kodi alongside a VPN.
Nord VPN boasts 5700+ servers across 60 countries. Also, it is based in Panama and can support up to 6 devices simultaneously.
Aside from being stealth, Nord VPN stands out for its emphasis on security. Especially with the Double VPN and the Onion over VPN features. Double VPN offers double encryption for your data while Onion over VPN provides extra layers of security. Plus, NordVPN comes with a feature known as CyberSec, which is a kickass malware and Ad blocker.
Needless to say, all this beefed security does affect throttling to some extent though not enough to brand NordVPN as slow. In truth, the speed is consistently fast with no lulls or fluctuation.
Layers aside, NordVPN works with all Kodi supported devices including media streamers and routers. In fact, its clients include Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and routers.
If you have any difficulty using NordVPN with your Kodi device, just refer to the simple tutorials and guidelines on the NordVPN site. Seeing that NordVPN has a specific pages in their site dedicated to Kodi.
If you are ready to get NordVPN, check this article to find the exclusive NordVPN Black Friday deals and discount codes.
Titbit: Every now and then, there are rumours of the NordVPN Free Trial. In truth, NordVPN did cancel their 7-day free trial due to wild misuse.
Now, seeing how difficult it is to commit to a service you have not tried yet, I have a secret just for you. You can still access the 7-day free trial if you order NordVPN through Google Play Store or Apple App Store. So, there you have it.
3. IPVanish VPN for Kodi
60 Countries | 10 Devices | 7 Day Money-Back Guarantee
If I could pick just one thing I love about IPVanish, it’s the speed. This bad boy is one of the fastest VPN providers in the market. And you know how important speed is to any Kodi device.
Also, IPVanish has one of the best performing Android-based client. Add this to the user-friendly interface and you’ve got a winner.
IPVanish is a giant in the VPN world. It offers over 40,000 IP address, 1300+ servers spread across 60+ countries.
You can use Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, or any of the Router Apps available. Indeed, IPVanish works with all Kodi-supported devices including some obsolete platforms.
Enjoy all the standard advanced features including military grade encryption, zero logging, SOCKS5 web proxy, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited server switching.
With IPVanish, you can connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. If you need help connecting IPVanish to your Kodi device, simply contact customer support. IPVanish has a whole page dedicated to Kodi users and the different issues they may face.
Titbit: Please note that the 2-Year Plan comes with SugarSync which is simply free 250GB cloud storage.
4. SurfShark VPN for Kodi
60+ Countries | Unlimited Devices | 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Before we go deep into SurfShark and what it offers, it helps to know that SurfShark is relatively new. Despite that, SurfShark has proven to be a formidable player in the best VPN for Kodi arena.
In a word, SurfShark offers 1000+ servers in 60+ countries. You can choose Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, FireTV, AppleTV, Xbox PS, or Trust DNS clients. There are also browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
The most outstanding feature about SurfShark is the fact that there is no limit to the number of devices you can connect. Indeed, this may be the only option for large families with scores of Kodi devices within the same home.
SurfShark enjoys a robust client base. The good news is, there are literally hundreds of servers all over the world to choose from. Despite this being a somewhat small network, it holds its own in speed as well as customer satisfaction.
SurfShark is based in the British Virgin Island. You can always be sure your identity and Kodi activities are well masked even from your ISP. This is attributed to the special Camouflage Mode, strong encryption, zero-knowledge DNS servers, and ultra-secure protocols. There are also some premium extra features including split tunnelling, torrent-friendly servers, DNS Leak protection, and Ad blocker.
As far as Kodi goes, SurfShark supports all Kodi-supported devices including media streamers and routers.
If you need help connecting SurfShark to your Kodi device, there are tons of resourceful information on the SurfShark blog.
Titbit: For an additional 99cents a month, you can beef up your security by acquiring an Add-on to alert you when your email address is leaked. Also, you can buy an Add-on that allows you to browse without Ads. Each additional Add-on is 99cents a month.
5. CyberGhost VPN for Kodi
90+ Countries | 7 Devices | 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee
CyberGhost VPN checks all the boxes for the best VPN for Kodi newbies. From the crisp, clean user interface to the easy configuration, this is a solid choice for Kodi VPN.
CyberGhost boasts a massive network of 5900+ servers spanning 90+ countries. In addition, you will be spoilt for choice thanks to the wide array of clients. They include Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, FireStick and FireTV, Roku, and Raspberry Pi among others.
The main aim of a VPN for Kodi should be anonymity and protection. CyberGhost has optimized its servers for different services. What do I mean? Essentially, the servers are categorized depending on location and the kind of streaming you, the user, want.
CyberGhost is based in Romania. They recently published their Transparency Report to assure their users of their security. This is critical especially because CyberGhost is partially in the 14-Eyes country.
Thanks to the CyberGhost industry-standard encryption, you can go incognito even from your ISP. CyberGhost works on all Kodi-supported devices. Linux users can use Linux Command Line (CLI). Also, Mac users should disable WebRTC in their browsers.
While CyberGhost is not the fastest VPN option, it is not particularly slow. You will not experience buffering or inconsistencies in your connection. If you find yourself in unfamiliar ground, rely on the information-rich support pages on their website as well as the excellent customer support system.
Titbit: If you get the 3-Year subscription, you will get 2 additional months for free!
6. VyprVPN for Kodi
70 Countries | 5 Devices | 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
VyprVPN is a Switzerland-based VPN provider owned by Golden Frog. I would like to point out off the bat that VyprVPN is a special choice. Why you ask?
For one, VyprVPN is a tier-1 company. This means that all their hardware is self-owned. Consequently, they do not share or lease any hardware from third parties. You can connect via Windows, Mac, iOS, Android or Routers.
Two, VyprVPN offers 700+ servers across 70+ countries. You will have an excess of 200,000 IP Addresses to choose from. Plus, you can connect up to 5 devices at a go.
Three, VyprVPN comes with the Chameleon technology. This proprietary feature takes blocking, throttling, and anonymity to a whole new level. I mean, this bad-ass feature can even bypass Deep Packet Inspection as well as most firewalls.
Four, VyprVPN is incredibly fast. You can effortlessly stream HD or even 4K movies easy peasy.
And finally, VyprVPN subjects itself to independent audits which is the ultimate proof that you and your data are safe.
That being said, VyprVPN has no obvious Kodi support. However, you can access comprehensive support resources from the VyprVPN website. You’ll also find information on OpenELEC as well as many useful Qs and As on the Web Forum.
Worth mentioning is the 3-year plan comes with an extra 2 months free plus a 45-day money-back guarantee.
7. Private Internet Access For Kodi
90+ Countries | 10 Devices | 7-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a common VPN option and not just for Kodi but also for all other internet security needs. It is an extensive network too featuring 3300+ servers in 33 countries.
PIA provides all the typical features associated with high-end VPN providers. These include military-grade encryption, Kill Switch, Ad blockers, and an array of protocol options among others.
Moreover, PIA aims to give you as much granular control over their services as possible. It is a well-designed software perfect for beginner Kodi users. You can, therefore, fine tune your web connection to exactly what you want.
Perhaps the biggest downer about PIA is the fact that it is based in the USA. This means the NSA and the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance can easily get to it.
That aside, PIA is a solid solution for both Linux and Android Kodi users. In fact, PIA works with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and Routers. The Linux client supports OpenELEC which in turn brings Raspberry Pi into the picture.
You can connect up to 10 devices at a go. Even better is the fact that PIA Apps are super lightweight which means you can enjoy this incredible service even on a budget.
Private Internet Access Pricing
How To Choose The Best VPN For Kodi
It does a whole lot of good to know the Best VPN for Kodi. However, you are now left with 7 great choices and not enough information about choosing the right Kodi VPN.
Rather than leave you to your ways, I decided to throw some pointers your way to make the decision-making process less like pulling your hair. If you find it hard to go through the VPN selection process, we recommend you to check this article on Black Friday VPN specials Deals.
So, what should you look out for when choosing your VPN for Kodi?
- Clients: Kodi’s most storied feature is its ability to stream on hundreds of devices. If your aim is to use multiple Kodi devices under your VPN, ensure that your VPN carries those particular Apps. You really don’t want to find out you can’t run Linux or Roku after you’ve already made the purchase.
- Coverage: Under coverage, you want to check if your VPN has servers in locations that you like to frequent (digitally of course). Also, as a general rule, the better the distribution of servers the better for you.
- Protocols: In a nutshell, protocols are the backbone of your connection. If you are not a techy person, I would just recommend a VPN that supports Open VPN (it’s the most secure protocol). Even easier, just go for a VPN with a Native VPN client. However, just as important is the freedom to pick from an array of protocols. SSTP, PPTP, IPsec, and IKEv2 are good additions to the Open VPN protocols.
- Speed: As we had earlier discussed, it is not streaming if your Kodi keeps buffering. Some may argue that speed is the most important aspect of a Kodi VPN. Make sure you test your VPN pick before committing to a long-term subscription.
- Reviews: This is the quickest way to research a product. But do not only rely on reviews especially those posted on VPN websites. Target techy forums which are non-affiliated to the VPN companies for honest reviews. Still, go all in when researching to ensure you make an informed decision.
Setup Guides For VPN For Kodi
I have explained the installation of VPN for Kodi on Windows and macOS in detail.
1. How To Install Kodi VPN? (General steps)
If you have already downloaded and installed Kodi on your device, then it is very simple to use a VPN on it. You don't have to do anything with the Kodi application, just keep it close.
- Choose your ideal VPN for Kodi and sign up for it. (If you have any confusion which VPN to choose, you can refer to the list given in the article).
- Then download the VPN application on your device and install it.
- Use the given credentials and sign in.
- Now connect to the desired server of yours.
- Now You can open the Kodi app and use it.
- Since you have connected to a different server, you can use Kodi to install add-ons, and you can now access new content.
2. How To Set Up a Kodi VPN On Windows
When it comes to installing a VPN on Windows, there are three different ways to set up a VPN on Windows.
Method 1: You can install the VPN application on Windows (general method given above)
Method 2: Use OpenVPN Connect. This way of installing is possible if the VPN providers offer you the OpenVPN protocol.
Now let's discuss the 2nd method in detail.
I have explained this second method with ExpressVPN as an example,
1. Go to the official website of ExpressVPN and log into your account. Then select the Set up other devices option and choose the "Manual configuration".
2. Then select the "OpenVPN" option present on the right side of the screen. Check the credentials given for your OpenVPN and note it down, because you need it again to log in.
3. Scroll down, and you will find the ExpressVPN server list. Choose one server, and you will find an OVPN file downloaded on your computer.
4. Now download a recently released OpenVPN connect application and click on the provided link to visit its official website. Then download the OpenVPN connect application and install it on your Windows PC and run it.
5. You need to click and open the OpenVPN connect application and select the file.
6. Now drag and drop the OVPN file, which is already downloaded. Your VPN profile will be imported now, and you need to provide the credentials to log in.
7. Finally, select the "Add" option in the top-right corner, and your new VPN profile will be visible on the OpenVPN connection's home screen. Now, you can connect to the server you have just added. Likewise, you can add many numbers of new servers using this method.
Method 3: You can set up a VPN on Windows manually.
You can set up a VPN on Windows manually, and if you want, you can use a protocol such as L2TP/IPSec.I have used ExpressVPN to demonstrate this type of VPN setup.
1. If you have already signed up for ExpressVPN, then Go to their official website and login to your account.
2. On the dashboard, click on the "SetUp Other Devices" option and click on "Manual Configuration". Then choose the "PPTP & L2TP/IPSec" option, which is on the right side of the screen. Don't close this page. Minimize it and keep as we need it again for further steps.
3. Now click on the start menu on your windows and type VPN and click the enter button. You will notice windows setting apps with VPN related options. Click on "Add a VPN connection".
4. Click on "Windows(Built-in) as your VPN provider and add a connection name. Now you will see your new VPN connection on Windows and the server option.
5. Open the page which you have minimized earlier. Copy the server address displayed on that page. Now Enter the server address and select "L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared key" in the "VPN Type" field.
6. Finally, enter "12345678" for the pre-shared key and enter the type sign dialog box's credentials.
7. Click on the save option. Now you will be redirected to a page where your new VPN connection will be visible.
8. Select the connect option. It will ask for the credentials, and the process is done. You can now connect to the VPN server.
3. How To Set Up a Kodi VPN On MacOS
Here, you can find three different methods to set up a VPN on macOS.
Method 1. Use your VPN provider's macOS app
This is a general method where you can download the application and install it.
Method 2. Set Up a VPN on a Mac Manually
This method is similar to the manual installation of VPN on Windows, but with some changes.
Once you enter into the dashboard of ExpressVPN, Click on > Set Up Other Devices > Manual configuration > "PPTP & L2TP/IPSec". Minimize the page.
Now navigate to System Preferences > Network > Click on "+" sign on bottom corner > choose VPN > "L2TP over IPSec".
Select "Authentication Settings" and enter the credentials and also enter "12345678" in the shared secret field and click ok.
Then click on the "Advanced" option and checkbox for "Send all traffic over VPN connection" and also checkbox "Show VPN status in the menu bar."
Now you can use the newly created VPN connection by choosing System preferences > Network.
Method 3. Use a Third-Party macOS VPN App
If you don't need a dedicated VPN app, then use a third-party VPN app for macOS.
1. Download the corresponding OVPN files from your VPN provider. If you are an ExpressVPN user, login with your credentials on the website of ExpressVPN and click "Setup Other Devices."
2. A new page will appear. Click on the Manual Configuration on the new page. Then click on the OpenVPN username and password along with OVPN files and finally download the OVPN files of the servers that you are going to use.
3. To create an OpenVPN connection on your macOS, you need to download the Tunnelblick application(recommended).
4. Tunnelblick application will show two options, namely, Set up a new connection manually and supply a configuration file. You need to select the second option since you have the OVPN file ready, and you need to click on "I have a configuration file" and add your OpenVPN configuration.
5. You need to drag and drop the downloaded file on the left side of Tunnelblick's interface on the configuration place. Now enter your credentials.
6. You can use the same interface to connect to your server, which you have added newly. You can repeat the same procedure to add multiple servers. You can easily connect and disconnect from various servers you have added by clicking on the Tunnelblick's menu bar icon.
FAQs for VPN for Kodi
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network that creates a secure and encrypted tunnel for you over the internet between whatever device you use and the website or application you try to access.
This is simply done by swapping your IP address with another country's server IP address and pretending to be a local visitor.
And VPNs are available at an affordable price, so grab the best VPN for your device and protect them against any possible internet attacks.
The main benefits of using a VPN are unblocking the geo-restricted content and accessing them and improving your privacy and security while you are online. These are the two main benefits of using a VPN.
If you are a person who values your security and privacy, it is advisable to avoid using free VPNs. This is because free VPNs provide weak security, and their features are not up to the mark.
The free VPNs earn their revenue only through selling their logs of their users.
They log your IP address, device details, and, most importantly, your internet browsing history. This contradicts the use of a VPN. So it is best to avoid using free VPNs.
Yes, Kodi is completely legal and safe to use. But remember, not every Kodi add-on is safe or legal to use. There are so many illegal or unauthorized Kodi add-ons present on the internet that are filled with malicious or pirated content.
So if you unknowingly download and install any of these add-ons, then chances are there that you will be a victim of cyber attacks, or you will get copyright files from the authorities. So be very cautious and evaluate any add-on before downloading.
When you set a VPN for Kodi, your IP address must change automatically. If in case it does not change, then you have not installed the VPN for Kodi correctly.
Check out the setup guides which I have given in the above article. If you still have problems setting up a VPN on Kodi, you can get help from your VPN provider's customer support.
It depends on the VPN you use. If you use a free VPN, then it will slow down your internet connection, and hence you will experience buffering while watching videos and surfing and lag in gaming.
This is because the encryption process done by the VPN will slow down your connection, but the paid VPNs use Smart DNS and some software to balance this, so they provide a stable internet connection, and you will not experience any lag in your connection. Use a reliable and robust VPN to experience fast speed connection.
Much as we love entertainment, your safety and that of your data should be a high priority. As is, using Kodi without a VPN is downright reckless.
Though Kodi offers a huge library of official add-ons that are reliable and high-quality, people tend to download some unofficial Kodi add-ons from the internet.
When you download such add-ons, you need to be very careful, especially when downloading from P2P networks.
Many add-ons contain malware and adware in it, and it also gets downloaded along with your add-ons.
Your personal information is at stake, and even your official add-ons will get hacked as part of the malicious activities.
So you should evaluate the add-ons before you download it.
But if you are using a VPN, you don't have to worry about this problem, as it will prevent any malicious activities from attacking your system, and by now you would have understood the other uses of VPN for Kodi.
I hope that you find this article useful. If you were looking for the best VPN for Kodi, I think my list would nudge you in the right direction to choose the ideal VPN for Kodi.
I have also given details about the importance of using a VPN with Kodi and the benefits you would get when you use a VPN.
If you were worried about the setup guide, I think my step-by-step guide would be useful.
Overall I think this article will help you get some insight into VPN and its usage with Kodi.
Again I would like to repeat, don't be careless when you download the unofficial add-ons for Kodi. Safeguard your device and online privacy by using a VPN.
If you like this article, then give a big fat thumbs up and also share it with your friends through social media.
If you have any doubts, feel free to ask them in the comment section. Happy Streaming!!!
Now that you have an array of great choices, let us know what you choose and how it worked out. Information is power.